Sunday 12 January 2014

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars, John Green.



The Fault In Our Stars is a young adult novel that has sat on my shelf for a year or so. Again and again, I've picked it up and barely even a hundred pages in, I then put it down again for a month or two before I start to read it once again before putting it down yet again for another month or so!

I first brought this novel after Gemma launched her book club with it. The blurb sold it to me straight away, 'Despite the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that has brought her a few years. Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.'

"Sometimes people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them, " 

I know, you don't need to say it. Straight away your heart goes out to these two kids with cancer and you want to read their story but then reading their story reaffirms what we already know, cancer must surely be one of the most difficult things to live with. And to. read about Hazel, a girl who knows cancer will never leave her, left me with a lump in my throat from almost the very beginning and actually for a while there, made me very uncomfortable and almost guilty which is maybe why I had to stop and start this book over and over again.

"Right, of course. But you keep the promise anyway. That's what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway. Don't you believe in true love?" '

I finally finished The Fault In Our Stars last night after once again re-starting it about four days ago and this time after reaching the last page and putting the book down. I was truly sad not only for the story that was told but also that the time, between (and with) the friends who I felt as if I had met (IE. Augustus, Issac and Hazel) had come to an end. The relationship John Green established between these three characters was so amazing and you can not imagine how their days would have been without each other. I can only hope that one day I will find friends as true as these, for as much as they couldn't, they made the terrible so much better.

'You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.'

I don't really want to tell you too much about this book because I don't want to go and give you all the spoilers but it is special and like me, you may take a few goes but please read until Amsterdam before you give up on The Fault In Our Stars. I'm not sure a story has ever took me to a setting or situation that felt so real before. As I read about the dinner and then Augustus's confession, I smiled, cried and shivered.

This book starts as a book (maybe even a slightly uneasy one) but when it ends, you're left with the feeling that The Fault In Our Stars was so much more!!!

You can buy The Fault In Our Stars here on Amazon and in many other bookshops. I  really recommend, 'Looking For Alaska' also by John Green!

Happy New Year everybody!!!!!!!!!! So, go on, have you finished a book yet in 2014? Have you read A Fault In Our Stars, what did you think? I hope you've all had a fab weekend.



6 comments:

Natalie Loves Beauty said...

I really want to read this book! It sounds incredible. I've been meaning to read it for a while now but forgot the title and when I saw a girl reading it on the subway I was like "that's it"! :)

www.natalielovesbeauty.com

The CSI girls said...

This sounds such a good read. I'm sure I'd cry a lot reading it though. Think it'll be one for reading at home! M xx

Essjay23x said...

@Natalie Loves Beauty
TFIOS is a fab read and very hyped. I think, all that hype is a little bit why I found it hard to get in to at the beginning but as I neared the end of the book, I totally got the hype. Thank you for coming back and reading, Natalie : ) xx

Essjay23x said...

@ C.S.I Beauty Blog
M! I just saw your book review, yay ;). Yep, this one is a bit of a tear jerker so might be good for bedtime/lie in reading otherwise a BIG hat and sunglasses might be required!!

Fernanda said...

I've been putting off reading this book because every review I read warns me that it's a cryer and I like to avoid things I know will make me cry. lol Great review, though! xx

http://ferdies-place.blogspot.co.uk/

Essjay23x said...

@Fernanda It is a tearjerker and thank you xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...