Saturday 20 November 2010

The Beauty Bible!

Lately I have enjoyed wandering around the shops, perusing.


Utter bliss and the best form of exercise!

I was doing just this the other day, when it started to rain. I sought shelter in a local charity shop and well, by the time the rain stopped, I had secured quite possibly the bargain of the year!!!







Sure, it is an old edition. 1997, but, it has taught me and inspired me probably more then any other 'beauty' book ever.

The Beauty Bible is illustrated beautifully and covers everything from make up, skincare and haircare to reflexlogy, facial workouts(!) and cosmetic surgery.







I love the fact that this book does not focus or endorse just one beauty philosophy. It covers so many different beauty ideas and all the pros and cons. There are many insights from different 'experts' such as Liz Earle, Eva Lom, Bobbi Brown and Mary Greenwell.



The Beauty Bible also gives an insight in to the beauty habits of the celebs (interestingly many of those featured still, now a decade later, possess a name in lights), namechecking perfumes and lipsticks in connection with certain personalities.

There are also recommendations and reviews of different products. True, this feature may now be a little out of date. However, it may also bring to light a classic. A miracle product that I have missed along the way, that was lost under all the hype of the latest 'magical' or 'amazing' release.

Natural beauty is also not forgotten in these pages and there are suggestions for face masks, hair treatments and such like, using items from the kitchen.

To be honest, I have had this book a couple of weeks and have probably spent about 4-6 hours on it and I still feel like there is lots left to digest. I think no matter what I learn, there will be something new to swot up on here and I imagine that this fantastic book is a handy reference for anyone.

So far, I have learnt

* That an annual three month course of probiotics could be beneficial for my skin particularly in combination with Evening Primrose Oil. Actimel, here I come.

*Apparently Madonna likes XS from Paco Rabonne while Helen Christensen is more of an Opium lady.

*How to spend my day off indulging with my very own home spa treatments.

I absolutely love this book and still think, despite its age, that this book is worth the original £12.99 price. More then six times the £1.50, I paid for it in the lovely little charity shop.

I will certainly be looking out for the release of the Anti-Aging Beauty Bible next year to see if it lives up to the original.

Do you have a copy of The Beauty Bible? Do you think such books are good beauty investments?

X

2 comments:

Jo Fairley said...

Thanks so much for the lovely comment about the book. You might know that we have a website - www.beautybible.com - where we continue our work to help women steer a path through the beauty jungle... Our books take us two years each to write and it is wonderful when they are appreciated like this.

V. best,

Jo and Sarah

Essjay23x said...

@Jo and Sarah I really do love the Beauty Bible. It is really special and resonated with me in a way that no other 'how to' beauty type book has. There is no doubt that I will be checking the website out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...